Monday, August 4, 2008

Perfect Match...Did you say match? Is there a fire?

Oh goodness!
So I got to the Holiday Inn in Alexandria, VA after a very cheap yet lengthy commute. I checked in and practically ran to the shower. I unpacked several things and got into one of many cute Target dresses and headed down to the ballroom for dinner at 5 (yikes!) and then meetings from 6-9. As I walk in, I immediately notice the family of four on the right. I was jealous of their opportunity. The kids are in immersion programs so already speak Spanish, but WOW! Then four other Americans on the left. It felt awkward at first as our group of 8 felt our way through the getting to know you small talk. Once our leaders arrived, there was more led conversation. We're all from different geographic areas as well as walks of life, s
o I was a bit uneasy and ready to meet Yuri. I also was hungry, having eaten brunch at 10:30 expecting dinner at 5:00 sharp! They told us we could play a game of seeing which American found his/her exchange partner first. I, of course, recognized Yuri immediately from the pictures we'd sent. She recognized me too and we were ready to hug and get talking, but had to stand in a circle until they asked if anyone knew who belonged to whom.
Finally we ran across the circle and hugged and got chatting right away! Yuri is here with two other women from Culiacan. They are both on one way exchanges because their counterparts backed out at the last minute (June). They are both elementary, so I adopted them too! Their names are Beatriz (Bay-ah-TREECE) and Shania (CHON-yah).
At that point (6ish), we had dinner together in another ballroom. It was fun speaking some Spanish and some English and figuring out who went with whom. I think it's been obvious for months, but it was visible that Yuri and I are a perfect match! She also told me at dinner that she had a room all to herself since her husband did not come to DC (he's coming to Nashville from Culiacan on Sunday) and that if I wanted to I could move in with her. I decided that was a great idea not only because we have so much to talk about relating to the upcoming year, but also because she's fun to be around and the more time I have with her the better. After August 26, I won't see her until Christmas (they can't leave the States once they're here), and then when she comes home for good in June 09.
I had planned on formal meetings from 6-9, so the informal, chatty dinner was a nice change. Around 7:45, some of the "USians" (the Spanish language has a name for us-people from the States- because there are more countries in America than us, but in English we have no such word...USians is a Fulbright addition to the dictionary) wanted to go for a walk and potentially end with a glass of wine. I'd been walking all weekend, as had my three partners in crime (remember Beatriz and Shania have no one, so I'm their counterpart, too!), so we opted to stay here.
We went back to the room and I talked on the phone a wee bit, but then Yuri signaled that she had some videos and pamphlets from Culiacan, to come over to the girls' room when I was finished. I got changed into my workout clothes and headed over there.
We stayed up talking until about 11. I watched the video, I heard stories, and I asked questions. Then Yuri and I looked on craigslist (still unsuccessfully) for housing in E'ville.
This was when I realized the teaching situations for Beatriz and Shania. Shania will be in an Immersion school which will be lots of work! Or she can choose to teach like I do to the English-speaking side of the school. Beatriz will be starting a program much like mine, though I doubt they will have it every day. All three teachers are very nervous about teaching Spanish since they never have before. So they had many questions for me.
Beatriz was falling asleep sitting up, so we left their room and came back to ours. We chatted with each other awhile. Then Yuri chatted on her computer with some friends back home while I ran on the treadmill. When I came back, she was still chatting, so I uploaded pictures, updated my blog, and took a shower. Then I had to blow dry so I could be presentable the following day!
Morning came so early. Primarily because after we turned off the lights at 1am, we kept talking!
We had breakfast at 8 and then sessions with lots of different people all day. The meeting part will not interest any of you. The basic rundown is that we will all have a breakdown (picture my one between my house and the Smiths' during the a/c issue) that will only be amplified by cultural differences. Even though we're language teachers and battle stereotypes and such on a daily basis, once we're living in the culture and working in the culture, our "USianism" will only get stronger and more pronounced.
We also discussed things like the Embassy and Consulates and when to call about different things. Which system to use to mail (FedEx to ensure it makes it). How to spend our educational material supplement. Which questions to ask our counterpart. ETC.
This was all morning and all afternoon. Sometimes together, sometimes separate. We broke for lunch together and then played mixer games to keep us awake (and also to prove some points) before the afternoon session.
When that was over (4:30ish), the Mexicans had to prepare for a cultural presentation, so I went up to our room and got some picture uploading/labeling done as well as starting to update my blog. The girls had decided they wanted to shop around Old Towne before dinner. At the other hotel, they had a sandwich bar for our dinner from 6-10 as well as registration. The Mexican teachers had already registered together earlier in the afternoon. They also were having a hard time adjusting to eating so early, so we decided we'd shop for a bit and then come back for registration and dinner.
When Yuri came back up from the meeting about the cultural presentation, she was exhausted and said she'd rather not go shopping. Did I mind? If only the girl knew how much I value sleep! I told her to nap as long as she wanted, and I'd be shopping with the other two. We walked around and found Gap Outlet. I ended up getting a dress and cardigan (the cardigan was a need because all the rooms are so cold...the dress, not so much a need!) for 20 bucks. Later in the night, Beatriz and Shania explained to me that shopping in Culiacan is much more expensive than here. That surprised me, but then I thought about it. Culiacan has many many things. I think most of the shopping they enjoy comes from US chains, so there is a hike on the prices. All I know is I'm glad to be justified in all my purchases this summer!
We met back up for dinner with Yuri at the other hotel, and I got registered. Since I had just seen all of DC, I decided to unregister for the tour. I wanted to get as much time as possible in the Holocaust Museum.
Our dinner was good, and by 9:00 I could've eaten literal crap and enjoyed it. I was very hungry not having eaten since 12. We invited 4 Colombian teachers and one of their daughters to sit with us. The conversation was very interesting. I had a hard time understanding three of them (well two of them, one didn't talk much), but the fourth spoke clearly and slowly and a lot! I enjoyed hearing about the positive things in Colombia and how there are many dangers, but just like any place you go. I also learned that the Mexican accent is the ideal one for actors. If they cannot speak with the Mexican accent, they will not make it in the entertainment business. Mexico is the Holywood of Latin America. Coming soon to a telenovela near you...Senorita Klapheke!
:)
After that, we rode the shuttle back to the hotel and promised ourselves we would go to sleep immediately. HA! I wanted to share my curriculum with Beatriz and Shania, so they came into our room and we all talked methodology and such for over an hour.
In the middle of a serious conversation, the fire alarm went off! We chose to ignore it for a minute. I said, "I'm sure this is a false alarm." Then I looked at my stuff and thought about my life and said, "I will not burn to the ground saying 'I'm sure this is a false alarm!'"
Out we went. Being teachers, we marched out the front door and across the street to wait an appropriate distance from the possible fire.
The firemen came, the alarm continued, and then they gave us the all clear.
When we got back to the room, Shania, whose second job is as coordinator for the SEP (Secretary of Primary Education- more or less like the Board of Ed.), told me that when I got to Culiacan, I would probably have three teaching options. Since all three of them came, but only one of me is going, I would get to choose. She actually ended up coming up with about 6 different options. Some of the University options seem like fun. That's how I will fill my time...more work. Since I will be the only native speaker in the city, they all want a piece of me!
Shania has better accommodations in her school: her own classroom, air conditioning, technology, etc. The school is also 5-10 minutes from Mabel's house. There are 55-60 kids in a class instead of 38 tops in Yuri's, but they're very well behaved. It seems semi-perfect. I am, however, hesitant. Something in my gut tells me to stick with Yuri's school. The thought of an "exchange" with Yuri, yet being at someone else's school seems strange. There are administrative issues about the materials I will bring and Yuri's school needing them and deserving them. I don't know. I know that Yuri loves her principal. I know from experience that that is very important. I may just wait and check it out when I get there and decide, but I think this is one of those make-it-with-your-gut decisions that I need to feel instead of think about. And no matter the outcome, it's only a year!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I really underestimated the breakdown. You staved it off far, far longer than I. Stress and I are not good friends as you know. Great blogs though. I am Willing home for Yuri. It will happen. I has to and, therefore, it will happen. I'll share your pics with Turner tonight. Call when you get back home if you have time.