Friday, August 29, 2008

Oh, Mexico!

James Taylor?  And later Jimmy Buffett?  Well, I've figured it out.  I feel so weird because I'm comfortable with the notion that this is not my life.  This is my adventure for the year.  They told us in DC that there would be cultural things that would drive us crazy, etc.  However, that we were to remember this isn't my life!  Well, I think why I feel so weird is that I've done this enough to know it's not my life.  But living not my life for 10 months is going to be hard.  But I'll soldier on!  I'm not upset or worried, just kinda figuring out my emotions. :)
So this morning was the meeting with my enlace.  She's very nice and helpful.  And she gave the whole presentation in Spanish and outside, because the air was broken in our meeting room.
After, I got my teaching supplies.  There is an interesting system here that the teachers buy the books for the students.  Not with their money, just with their bodies.  So I will have to collect money from them, keep track of it, and then go to the bank to get a check then go to the office to get books for all my students.
So, after writing the name of my school several times and putting some pieces together (I only have to work 3 days a week, Mabel didn't know where the school was and got directions from Ana Luisa even though Yuri had taken her there, etc), I realized that they weren't putting me in Yuri's school.  Shania and Beatriz (in DC) had told me that they might give me options.  It seems, however, they made the choice for me.  I texted Lucas, a teacher in Mexico City who works with Comexus (Fulbright Mexico City) part time and also did a Fulbright teacher exchange before.  I asked him if this was okay and if I should call the directors of Comexus and he said not okay and yes to call.  So I called Jessica (jessica and Maggie are the two names from Comexus you'll read about most) and she asked if that was what I wanted and while one bus (instead of two) for 45 minutes (instead of an hour) was really appealing, not to mention 3 days a week, I told her something about it made me uneasy.  I had emailed Yuri to see if I was right in assuming this was not her school and she said it definitely was not and that it wasn't as good of a school and that she wanted me with her teachers, etc.
While Mabel and I were at the mall (and Cosette) eating lunch (remember that school is out at 12:30 and lunch is at 2), I got a call from one of the supervisors or coordinators or something.  Mayra Cota is her name and she wants to meet with me.  I'm assuming that someone talked to her about this.  I hope it gets fixed!  I know it will get fixed one way or another; it's just a matter of when and how!
For now, I'm "no te preocupes"ing and waiting on Mayra to get here.  Maybe she can solve my problems. :)
At lunch, I had Chinese food.  There are so many kinds of food here.  Their favorite seems to be sushi ("suchi") and it's fried.  Well, the outside is.
Nothing is healthy here.  Nothing. :)
So I think I'm going to have to be an early riser and walk on my street.  Mabel was telling me this morning as we were taking Cosette to school that in the mornings, there are no cars and many people walk or run.  Early would be 5:30 if I'm going to catch the bus before 7.  Oh my grand adventure!
As always, I'll keep you updated!
Amor y brasos.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it is definitely weird-different-how they do things if you have to buy the book with your body and not money. Or do you get the money from your body and then buy the books?-please explain as I am curious!!

Julia

Anonymous said...

llk: i love the "oh mexico" reference!!! as soon as i figure out how to do the red font on these comments, i will revert to it. i am going to the uofl/uk football game tomorrow after church. go, my maestra...start knocking those kids dead on monday (no labor day holiday for you in "meh-he-co" on monday).
love/dad