Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Too Much Time!

I currently have too much time on my hands; I'm excited about this.  It means I will get all unpacked, semi-clean, updated on my blog, and possibly rested.

Since I have free time right now, I want to catch you up on the days before I left as well as the events that have occurred here.  The weekend I left, I was super-busy the whole time.  Meals, fellowship, etc.  I got more gifts in some form of dinero!  An apple gift card from the Smiths, cash from my aunt Lori and uncle Ricky, and extra cash from Dad.  Thanks to all!

My last Sunday at church was nice, and my days following were packed minute to minute.  Monday, I had no car, since Mom and Jack had delivered it to Glasgow for the next little bit.  I took Ashley to work and she let me use her car.  I did little things, but mostly I spent the day by myself.  BAD.  I cried.  I finally realize in my clean room and borrowed car and thank-you note writing that I was leaving.  And not for a vacation.  It seems like a vacation now.  And it very well may feel like a vacation until Christmas, but after Christmas, there will be six more months of teaching, living, hanging out, etc.  And it won't be new anymore.  It all just hit me and I cried and cried.  This, as Bewley put it, makes me human.  But I didn't want to see it that way. :) I wanted to make it the whole time without crying!  I guess you can't change the spots on a leopard or whatever that phrase is.  I boo hooed all day.  That night Ashley and I ate at Lime with Dad and I refrained from crying until I was home again.
Then I slept.  It was only for 3.5 hours, but it was sleep.  You know what sleep does to my swollen-from-crying eyes!  Well, the airport at 4 am on less than 4 hours of sleep doesn't help the situation.
So I cried some more and the guy at security gave me some Kleenex.  I sat at the gate and cried.
I got on the plane and my head bobbed a bit as I slept (more swelling).  I got to Chicago and had to change terminals which required a new security checkpoint. There was not much time and I was not patient on the monorail!
I got to my gate where I was the serious minority- the next ten months of my life!  I was excited to understand all the announcements even before they translated.  I still struggle with the response, but it'll come.
On this plane, AeroMexico, I had a whole row to myself and slept for at least 2 hours, maybe 3!  I got fed a decent breakfast, but slept through the second snack time.
In Guadalajara, I had quite a layover, so I finished reading my new Janet Evanovich book (I started in Chicago) and ate something totally unhealthy.
In Guadalajara, I passed through Customs which is like the lottery; you push a button to decide your fate.  If you get a green light you keep walking; if the light is red they search you.  When I waited at the carousel for my luggage, it never came.  The guards came and looked at my baggage claim ticket and said that it was checked all the way to Culiacan.  Weird, but okay.
When I got off the plane in Culiacan, I walked to the arrival area, and through the doorway, I could see Mabel, her daughter Cosette (6), and Ana Luisa, my mentor who was holding balloons that said "Welcome Home" in English and "Bienvenido" in Spanish.  They were tied to a cute little homemade flower.
I waved to them and waited for my luggage.  Yep, never came.  I talked to one of the AeroMexico guys and he filed a report for me and got Mabel's number and information.
I was a bit deflated, but happy to be here.  The four of us went to Applebee's (Welcome to Mexico!) where my 5:00 pm dinner was paid for.  We chatted about the plans for the week and then headed home.  Cosette wanted to help me unpack and help she did.  My whole personal space thing that I got going on in Tennessee isn't gonna fly so well here...  But she's 6, so I can excuse it.  I just hope this isn't one of those things where in 6 months I wish I had said something!
That was pretty much the day.  I had no pjs, so Mabel gave me some of her stuff to sleep in.  I took a very hot shower (so good to know) and we had oatmeal for dinner around 8.  I did some computer things and went to bed.
This morning came early at 6:45 when Mabel woke me.  She was going to drop Cosette off at school and then we were going to UdO (Universidad de Occidente, one of the 3 places she teaches) where she had to give a placement test.  I met some of her co-workers and then we went to the class in session to give that teacher a break and test the kids.  I just watched.  Before we went up there, all the English teachers had a meeting and the supervisor thought I was another Laura that would be teaching there.  She was talking about observing me and such.  Mabel and I were so confused, but then we figured out the miscommunication!  The test was boring to watch, but it was neat to see a college.  There was a projector and air conditioning and 4o students.  It's a public school which apparently pays less here than private.  The other two places she works are private.
After that, we went to the airport to get my two very large suitcases.  I was so glad to have them.  I had mentally prepared for 4 days without.  I wasn't looking forward to it, but I was mentally prepared.  Thank goodness I didn't have to wait that long!
We then went to the mall and got my cell phone.  I will make a new entry for that so it'll be easy to find on the side of blog whenever you need it.
The phone itself, and the first 20 dollars of Mexican minutes only cost me 40 bucks!  I could've gotten a fancier phone, but who are we kidding, right Melanie?!
:)
Then we went to Walmart so I could get a bath towel (I only have the one for the beach) and some hangers. ($7 for a ten-pack...I miss MY wal-mart)  Then we came home and unloaded a bit.  My toothpaste exploded.  YUK!  But that was it, so I was thankful for that.  I'm still not all put away, but everything is out of the bags...
Baby steps.  Old habits die hard.
Mabel and I went to pick up Cosette from school who was not remotely happy that she'd be spending the afternoon with her grandfather because she needed to give another placement test.  She said he's boring. :) She was super-whiny, and let me tell ya, Spanish whiny is much cuter than English.  Well, for now.
We stopped at a "buffet" to pick up lunch and I got a stuffed chile (not hot, yet not healthy) and spaghetti.  I'm seeing lots of carbs in my Mexican future.  We headed home to eat and I was starving by then.  2:00 will soon be normal for eating, but I ate some fruit and toast at 7.  It was a long seven hours.  I'll do better tomorrow.  In Mexico, it's always tomorrow.  No matter the question.  Manana. :)
Mabel has taken Cosette to her abuelo's, and I'm at the house by myself.  I have done mostly nothing but computer stuff: pictures, blog, email.  I'm about to nap and then put more things away and SHOWER with my stuff.
I suppose I may meet the Secretary of Education still at some point...
I know that tomorrow, either at 8 or 3 (depending which session works better in Mabel's schedule), I have a training on the new textbooks.  Of course it's all new to me!  I think that's it.  This weekend, Mabel is having a Welcome party for me, and we may go to Altata, the beach that's 40 minutes away.  Of course you'll get to know about it.
I'm having trouble posting pictures right now.  Will try more later.

1 comment:

jennifer harrison said...

i'm glad you're human. although i always look semi-alien when my eyes are all puffed up from crying.