Thursday, May 29, 2008

#27 Overwhelmed Orticia loves her doctor


I'm so overwhelmed right now! I am in constant communication with Yuri, which is great! But it also is so much more informative than my brain can handle. It's a good thing; I need to know all this stuff, but it makes my to-do list bigger by the minute. I also am in communication with Mabel, the woman with whom I'll be living. She's the one on the far left of the picture. She's right around my age and has a daughter who is 7ish if i remember correctly. She and I are now only in the beginning stages of our emailing, so there's lots of getting to know you coupled with details for our living arrangements. It seems like a pretty good deal. The most exciting part of our emails so far is that she is a yoga girl too! I asked her if she knew of a place- because quite frankly I'll be darned if I'm gonna work this hard at 6 am everyday and then go to Mexico and get fat! Anyhow, she said yes she loves yoga and her teacher is great and if I don't like it that there are other studios in Culiacan as well as lots of gyms- modern ones. And she's near a Walmart, so I figure I'm not gonna be too out of touch. Speaking of being in touch...I'm not sure just how in touch I'll be phone wise. Everything I look up about Mexico says their cell service is expensive and unreliable. And the service from the states via an international plan is not too cheap either, though it is better. I'm debating what my plan will be. Yuri seems to think it will be really expensive too. Maybe they get along without them. Whatever will i do without text for a year??? I mean, really...
The other overwhelming part about talking to Yuri is neither of us knows a lot. :) What I mean is that we have to make best guesses on a lot of things. Just yesterday she told me she thought I'd need to be in Culiacan on August 8. I was planning on going to the first few days of school at Lockeland, crying my eyes out, helping her transition and getting closure about being gone for a year (it still doesn't feel real). Just today she says she thinks I won't have to be there until school starts- closer to the last week of August. That's nice. Kinda plays into my procrastinating tendencies... so I'll have to make sure I still try to attack my lists daily!
The other overwhelming stuff comes from the Fulbright office. I'm getting paperwork everyday about the orientation in DC, books to read on living abroad, yada, yada, yada. And Mom is going to come to DC with me, so I'm trying to coordinate my free flight with her flight with our hotel in Alexandria (did I mention there are several hot yoga places in DC, and two I think in Alexandria?).
Remember, too that I'm getting up each morning at 5am to go center and be one with myself. I'm loving it; don't get me wrong. Add to that the babysitting I'm trying to fit in when my eyes are open, but there aren't a ton of jobs available. What did I do with my free time yesterday, you ask? Well, I supported Ann Taylor Loft's economy in a big way. More than I ever have before. But I had a gift card for part of it. And I justified all of it for teaching clothes for my future HOT home for a year! What am I thinking living in the Mexican desert for a year?! Expect glistening pictures.
As soon as boot camp is over, I head to Glasgow to hang out with my favorite boy ever and fly him back to Tucson where I will stay for a week. When I get back, it's church camp time and then suddenly it's DC time. WHERE does the summer GO?!
And I digress...
So there's the overwhelming part. Now's the loving my doctor part. As if this entry isn't long enough (remember this is actually for me, not you), get ready.
So March 20, I receive a packet with all kinds of info on things I must do within the next set amount of time depending on the document. Sign the agreement to exchange within one week. Process paperwork within school system with signatures from the proper authorities- thanks Dr. Keel and Emily- within two months. Have physical exam within 8 weeks.
So I completed everything except the physical. I didn't even call for the appointment until last week. Know why? Two words: anus rectum. That's right, #27 on the exam asks for the status of my anus and rectum. Well, I think they're fine, so I think they can remain unchecked. I'm unsure, however, that Dr. Tom (my good friend Kate's dad...her DAD) will agree. So I postpone the scheduling of the appointment as long as possible. Finally last week I called and lucky for me they had two openings within the week. One last Friday for my blood work (UGH- why are most nurses I come in contact with in such a foul mood?) I was a champ, a soldier if you will, and gave my blood with minor wincing. I also enjoyed my Memorial Day weekend without even thinking about it.
Until Tuesday.
24 hours til game time.
It's pretty much all I thought about.
Have I told you that I explained my fears to Kate as soon as I get my packet in March? Yeah, so she tells me she'll ask her dad about it. And she does. His response is something to the effect of "Tell Laura we'll not touch her where she doesn't want to be touched." I'm thankful. Yet now I'm thinking of the conversation Dr. Tom and I will have about his not worrying about #27. Almost as embarrassing as the exam itself. Almost.
After yoga on Wednesday and my three hour nap to make up for the sleep I did not get the night before, I get up and start the process of wigging out. I eat, I drink, I do not be merry. I texted PK to find out if he thought I would have to go through with #27. He says no, but yes. Great answer. Mostly that I'm young enough to not need it, but if it's on the form I should.
On my way to the office, Amanda calls and tells me sweet things about Turner. I share my upcoming drama/comedy. I think it was Jenna who told me it would be a funny story to tell at some point. I wasn't so sure I agreed. Amanda was laughing enough that it was a funny story before it happened!
So I get to the office, wait and wait and count the minutes until extreme mortification (is this a word?). The nurse calls me back. She checks my vision, hearing, etc. Note: I have always had great hearing. I assumed it was because I can't smell, so my vision and hearing got improved in the process. However, after she checked my hearing, I'm not so sure. I'll get my form back tomorrow. I'll let you know. I'm sure you're holding your breath.
Long story short. Okay, okay. Long story not quite as long. As Dr. Tom was chattin' me up about Mexico and yoga and his son going to med school, he simultaneously checks off every number, 1-32. PHEW! I left the office pricked from TB skin test, inoculated against one Hepatitis or another (this time for life), and ready to go see What Happens in Vegas (really good chick flick BTW), but not mortified or embarrassed.
There's no way you could read anymore; I'm out.
Happy Thursday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i thought that movie was funny too, but kinda the same as just married but with cameron diaz...you misinterpretted my statement by the way. see you in a couple of weeks.pk.

Jenna said...

Ok, seriously, where do I even begin to start! So much information, and hilarious as always!! First, I must start by saying I am so thankful you got #27marked off the list. Halle-freakin-lujah!!
Second, I can see why you are overwhelmed. I got overwhelmed just reading about it!! Hang in there...every great adventure starts with a ridiculously long to do list! You'll get it all done :)