Tuesday, May 20, 2008

And they're off...

My papers, that is.
After a stress-filled confusing week about where my paperwork was and whose signature it needed, I mailed my approval form, my placement packet (which tells Yuri what she’ll be doing at Lockeland), and the mentor form (which says Megan will take care of her- and get compensated for it). Thankfully it’s gone. I faxed it on Friday and handed it over to the US Postal Service on Saturday. Now all that’s left is a medical exam…which if you’ve talked to me lately, you know I’m less than pumped about. It seems a bit lengthy and detailed, and seems to examine every aspect of everything and mostly unnecessary things, especially since it will be conducted by a very good friend’s dad. Ah gees.
Supposedly, all I do now is wait (and be examined) and receive my final proposal packet from DC. So until then, mid-June, I’ll be hot yoga boot camping it…What was I thinking?! 6-7 am M-F for 6 weeks when I have no school. Yikes!
I also have three days of school left to get my academic thoughts for Yuri organized into a presentable readable method as well as pack up my classroom for the summer. Where did the time go? I don’t want it back, but man it went fast.
Tomorrow is my goodbye to the kids. It’s my last day teaching my students. I’m actually really excited because for second grade, I’ll be facilitating a conversation about migration and moving, which we started last week as well as breaking down stereotypes. Easy enough for 8year olds, right? I’ll also be preparing my little kindergarten and first grade babies for next year with someone other than Senorita Klapheke. Most of kindergarten this year has not had the typical attachment that I get in Kindergarten. Maybe I was just too mean this year. :) I choose to think I have a tougher crowd. I know Nicholson’s class will be sad that I’ll be gone. It also is hard to prepare first graders for second grade because some of them will still have “me” (read:Yuri) while others will graduate to Megan. The summer of not knowing is hard for them.
Then Wednesday, I’ll do the same discussion with Megan’s students: 2nd-4th grade. Then on Thursday, I’ll pack it up and plan to sit by the pool on a daily basis. After sweating away from 6-7am that is. And unless babysitting beckons…

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am soooo impressed!

Jenna said...

I am so envious of your summer...yoga, sunbathing, and babysitting! I'll be thinking of you as I sit in my window-less office for 8 hours a day!

Don't worry about your "exam" - Remember, they've seen and heard it all. If you would rather Danny do it, just let me know! haha!! :) Wouldn't that be wonderful!