Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Dr. William Patrick (L.) Klapheke

Well, he's been complaining. Every comment he posts begs for a mention. Every time we talk, he brings it up. I realize, as a teacher, I am only feeding his big head, but that is the essence of Patrick, so I continue fueling the flame...

Background: as a child, Andy (Turner's dad) picked on me mercilessly. I mean, mercilessly. It must've been fun because I pretty much remember crying daily at his hands. I'm over it; no need to feel sorry for me at this point. :) Although, Mom has said on multiple occasions that she never thought we'd actually turn out liking each other. It was pretty bad. I'm mostly remembering (PK and I discussed it on Fathers' Day) McDonald's and Senior Skip Day. (his not mine). Andy was constantly causing something. So much so that Patrick's college friends didn't even know he had a sister until well into the game. All he talked about was what Andy was up to. (I guess my scholastic achievements and being golden weren't as worthy as the shenanigans Andy was getting into.) My point being: in middle and high school, Patrick was "my big brother." Andy was my "brother" typically followed by a sigh. (I will add that every girl at Glasgow High School had a crush on him and let me know that and I just got sick of it. That didn't help my dislike...or whatever you call it)

All that changed when Andy procreated. This was brought to my attention by Megan when I was telling her about my weekend plans. I told her my brother was in town. Then felt I had to clarify because I have two and she said, "Oh, I figured. If it were Andy you'd have said Turner was in town." Point.

So now I have two brothers: Turner's Dad and The Other Brother.

So the other brother was in town this weekend complaining about not being on the blog and visiting his college friends. Pictures to follow. His actual purpose was a wedding, but the visiting of all friends occurred as well. I must say I LOVE HIS FRIENDS (deserving of caps instead of italics). When I was in those years where I probably actually hated Andy (not sure I was really capable of that, but really close), Patrick would pass through Glasgow with his college friends to go to Derby or to hang-out. I loved them. And they were so nice to me.
This is a picture from our dinner at Red Pony in Franklin. Caroline hoped to see someone famous. I was content having my meal paid for! If only Mark could've been there. He would've been married by now, no doubt, but I'm betting for old times' sake he would've picked up my tab. :)

My favorite thing about his group of friends is that they are all still very close. None live in the same city, but they see each other so often at wedding and Vandy festivities, etc. They keep up so well. I have amazing friends. Some of the best people I know. But Patrick has a really solid set group that has remained that way for...wow a really long time now...13 years????

I can't really find a way to tie this to Mexico or my blog, but poor ol' PK was dying for some of that first-child-attention, so here it is. :) Love you big brother. And Andy, love you too. More than anyone ever thought I would. Self included.

See you all Sunday and so excited about it I could scream!

PK and his wife Mer

Caroline (my favorite of his friends of all time; she is forever fussing over me and she came and campaigned for my mother for goodness sakes! LOVE HER) and her husband Clay

Bump and his wife Kim (Bump is also a favorite. But Caroline must take the cake. Bump's a nice guy so he'll understand.)



Kim, me and Mer...Caroline was flitting about being her extra-social self!

6 comments:

Jenna said...

You're a good sister Laura!!!

Unknown said...

Can't wait for the day when I get mentioned. :)

Anonymous said...

llk:

you go, girl!!!!! this is better than watching ncis.

love/dad

Anonymous said...

Thanks sis! love you too! i might have a little tear in my eye!pk.

Anonymous said...

Suffice it to say that I am content being Turner's dad and only getting mention as so or as a bad brother in the past. Great to see you this past weekend and thanks for the place to stay and ride to the airport in advance. Looking forward to a nice week with you in AZ.

A

Amanda said...

Turner and I read your blog after bfast this morning (orange rolls as requested; yuck). I pulled up the first one and he said with total surprise, "Hey! There's my La La and Dr. Patrick." I read him the blog. He said, "I don't want a brother. I want a sister." I told him, as I seem to be every day, that La La will need to make the babies. Then he sees the next picture. "Hey! That's me. I can see my muscles. What am I eating?" Who knows!? You are so so so so so missed. AND, we looked up Culiacan on the map when we were at Marissa's and Todd's on Tuesday (for Indian food) and we wrote your name on the map so the boys would remember where you will soon be.