Sunday, September 20, 2009

Departure Depression Hits

Saturday morning, I got up before 10 to make sure I didn't miss Alma. However, I couldn't find her. It had already been the hottest I'd ever been for like months leading up to then, so I was well-versed at staying in my room with the air on and listening to hear who was coming and going. I didn't think she had anything to do or anywhere to be, and I also didn't think she would leave without saying goodbye to me, but she was nowhere to be found. I did get a little worried.
Finally around 1, I heard her and Mamá Alma come in. Alma came upstairs and told me that there was a crowd downstairs and to join them if I wanted, so I did. Shania and Neyva were there as well as Mayra, Quinantzin and Elvira.
We all chatted and it was as if Alma wouldn't be leaving within the hour...
Alma came down with too much luggage (and too many pairs of shoes), and Shania and Neyva went to work. Fresh back from a year in the US, they took out several pairs of jeans as well as shoes. They put a carry-on sized suitcase inside the big suitcase so she would have something to fill up for the return home. They got it all worked out and convinced her that she wouldn't need all those shoes or jeans since she'd want to buy lots of other things; this was not an easy feat!
She said her goodbyes to everyone and Mayra and her gang left. That just left Shania, Neyva and me. I didn't realize that Shania was no longer going to Mochis with Alma, so we discussed that and the plan (maybe "tacos for dinner" with Quinantzin and Mayra?). Then she asked me what I was going to do all afternoon. I responded, "I guess I'll just sit here and cry."
Of course I was being funny, but it made me break down. So Alma and I hugged. And cried. And hugged some more. I gave her advice for the US. She wished me well in my return. It was awful.
Then out they went. She and her mom hit the road to Mochis and Shania and Neyva went back home. About 20 minutes later, Mayra called me to see if I wanted to go eat lunch with her and Quinantzin, since she knew I was sad. I told her no thanks, and she could certainly hear it in my voice that I was crying. Thankfully, she realized I just needed to be a lone and cry it out.
Cry it out I did. I sobbed for a good hour. Then I got a cold washcloth and attempted to "cool away" the damage. Good thing I had hours before the big surprise.

No comments: