Sunday, August 16, 2009

Wednesday, July 8- school and school...

Alma had told me that I could have her car on wednesday since I needed to go pick up the certificates for my students from the English office (remember the frantic call from Maribel). I got up and was ready by 9 to take her to work. I dropped her off at Centro de Idiomas and then went to the English office (after stopping at Superpan for a donut. Okay, and maybe a danish- so much for watching what I ate this day- but I had begun subscribing to the theory that I wouldn't be there much longer, so I had to take it all in!). From there, I stopped by school and left the certificates with the 6th grade teacher. Of course, they all apparently were under the impression that I should've been there with them handing out everything. I didn't realize this until much later. At any rate, even if they thought I should've been there, Inglés en Primaria couldn't even ask me to be there since the last paid day was June 30. The principal asked me to come into his office. They spent thirty minutes just looking at me basically. That's the polite thing for them to do- ask me in, socialize- but there wasn't much to talk about, so it felt like a gigantic waste of time for me. Welcome back, American Laura!
From there, even though I wasn't hungry, I decided to stop by for a raspado. Again, who knows how long it would be before I could have one again! By then, it was close to 11 and time for me to go back to Centro de Idiomas so Alma could have her car back. When I took her her keys into the office, she told me I should go visit Shania and Neyva in their classroom. PISI has a summer program for kids from 8 am until 3 pm. The English stops at 1, but that's still a long day. Shania had the 5 year olds. She doesn't prefer the younger ones, so it was super comical that she was with them for five hours a day! It was definitely fun to see her teaching. And the summer program is a great idea, of course. I took some pictures of her classroom decorations. I also got one of her in the floor with the kids around her. This is not school exactly, but it's a very structured situation. However, it's still Mexico. We talked a lot about the differences that day because she was trying to teach them procedures for being quiet, etc. It wasn't going so great.

They were working on professions and gluing pictures of their heads to cutouts of bodies htey had colored.

Bulletin board of commands used in class.

A thematic bulletin board of words they were learning.
I had no plans, but I wasn't interested in being with 5 year olds for much longer, so I left and went to the mall and then home. I think that night must've been a low key night at home, because I have no pictures and no recollection of anything that would've been worth writing about!

No comments: